Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
Remove the negative battery lead.
WARNINGThe hydraulic unit must not be opened under any circumstances. Reassembling it requires special equipment and facilities.
NOTEThe hydraulic unit for ABS has only eight valves while a unit for ABS and STC (stability and traction control) has ten valves. The method for replacing the unit is the same for both types. Check thoroughly when installing the new unit that the unit is the correct type.
- Secure the brake pedal in the depressed position. Use a pedal jack.
- Remove the protective cap from the bleed nipple at the left front wheel.
- Install a plastic hose on the nipple. Open the bleed nipple.
- Collect the brake fluid in a container.
- Shut the bleed nipple.
- Remove the brake pipe between the master cylinder and the ABS hydraulic control module.
Disconnect the brake pipes to the wheel brakes from the ABS hydraulic control module.
NOTENote the position of the pipes in the hydraulic unit.
- Hang the brake pipes on the cross member.
- Plug the brake pipes and connections for the ABS hydraulic control module and master cylinder.
- Remove the connector from the control module.
- Remove the 3 mounting bolts for the bracket by the side member.
- Raise the ABS hydraulic control module and bracket.
Remove or disconnect the following:
The connector for the pump motor from the control module
Check the control module before installing:
That none of the pins on the connector are damaged
Install or connect the following:
NOTEThe ABS hydraulic control module is filled with brake fluid. It is important that the plugs are not removed until the brake pipes are to be connected.
WARNINGNo ABS, stability and traction control functions are available when there is communication with the Brake Control Module (BCM) because Volvo Diagnostics are activated. The ABS warning lamp flashes for as long as the diagnostics are activated. To cancel the diagnostics before test driving the vehicle, the ignition must be switched off.
NOTERemember to remove the pedal jack after installing all brake pipes.
The control module on the ABS hydraulic control module
The new hydraulic unit on the bracket. Tighten the mounting bolts to 71 inch lbs. (8 Nm)
The brake pipe between the master cylinder and the ABS hydraulic control module.