Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
Remove the negative battery lead.
WARNINGThe hydraulic unit must not be opened under any circumstances. Reassembling it requires special equipment and facilities.
NOTEThe hydraulic unit for ABS has only eight valves while a unit for ABS and STC (stability and traction control) has ten valves. The method for replacing the unit is the same for both types. Check thoroughly when installing the new unit that the unit is the correct type.
- Secure the brake pedal in the depressed position. Use a pedal jack.
- Remove the protective cap from the bleed nipple at the left front wheel.
- Install a plastic hose on the nipple. Open the bleed nipple.
- Collect the brake fluid in a container.
- Shut the bleed nipple.
- Remove the brake pipe between the master cylinder and the ABS hydraulic control module.
Disconnect the brake pipes to the wheel brakes from the ABS hydraulic control module.
NOTENote the position of the pipes in the hydraulic unit.
- Hang the brake pipes on the cross member.
- Plug the brake pipes and connections for the ABS hydraulic control module and master cylinder.
- Remove the connector from the control module.
- Remove the 3 mounting bolts for the bracket by the side member.
- Raise the ABS hydraulic control module and bracket.
Remove or disconnect the following:
The connector for the pump motor from the control module