Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- The electric fan control module is integral to the electric fan motor assembly.
- Refer to Engine Fan removal and installation.
The engine cooling fan is brushless and has six fixed stages. It is controlled by the engine control module (ECM) and the engine cooling fan control module.
- Check to see if the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) is illuminated.
- Check for any active or stored Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC).
- If the MIL is not illuminated and no DTC is present, the electric fan control module is not setting a code and may be functional.
- Test the fan motor by disconnecting the electric fan at the connector plug.
- Supply 12 volts to the unplugged electric fan motor.
- If fan is not activated, replace fan motor.
- If fan is activated, check for bent, missing, or corroded connector pins at plug connections, missing wire or worn insulation on wires.