Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the battery negative cable.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Remove the camshaft covers, refer to Camshaft Covers removal and installation.
- Remove the accessory drive belt, refer to Accessory Drive Belts removal and installation.
- Remove the right front wheel.
- Remove crankshaft damper protective cover nuts.
- Push the protection towards the crankshaft damper.
- Remove the crankshaft damper center bolt using special tool 999 7196.
- Install 999 7198 in the center hole on the crankshaft.
- Pull off the crankshaft damper.
- Remove the alternator.
- Remove right engine pad
- Remove the right-hand engine pad/bracket.
- Disconnect the power steering pump. Place the power steering pump to one side.
- Remove the bolt and clamp for the power steering hose.
- Remove the pulley from the water pump.
Remove the engine bracket and idler pulley.
Remove the 25 bolts and the front cover. Discard the gaskets.
NOTECover the hole in oil pan using a piece of paper.
Apply liquid gasket 307 57050 as illustrated. The bead diameter must be greater than 0.039 inch (1mm).
NOTEInstall the front plate within 5 minutes (curing time for liquid gasket).
- Fold the front panel in at the lower edge.
- Install the 23 M8 bolts for the front side and tighten to 18 ft. lbs. (24 Nm).
- Install the 2 M8 bolts for the oil sump and tighten to 18 ft. lbs. (24 Nm).
Install the engine bracket and the idler pulley.
NOTEThe washer must be correctly installed.
- Install the pulley for the water pump.
- Install the power steering pump.
- Install the hose clamp and the bolt.
- Install the front bolt for the alternator and tighten to 18 ft. lbs. (24 Nm).
- Install lifting beam tool 999 5716, converted with the addition of 999 7070 and 999 5460.
- Remove tool 999 5550.
Install the right-hand engine pad/bracket.
NOTEThe crankshaft flange must be cleaned.
Clean the surface for the sealing ring on the crankshaft damper with cloth 951 1024.
NOTEIf necessary, replace the front crankshaft seal.
- Install tool 999 7196, drift: 999 7198 and press in the crankshaft damper to its limit. Position using the old center bolt.
- Remove the center bolt.
- Insert a new bolt for the crankshaft damper and tighten 133 ft. lbs. (180 Nm).
- Remove tool 999 7196.
- Install the protective cover.
- Install the camshaft covers.
- Install the accessory drive belt tensioner.
- Install the right front wheel and tighten lug nuts to 102 ft. lbs. (138 Nm).
- Start the engine and run the engine to normal operating temperature.
- Check for leakage. Fill fluids as necessary.