Removal & Installation
Disconnect the battery negative cable.
CAUTIONRemove ignition key.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Remove the accessory drive belt, refer to Accessory Drive Belts removal and installation.
- Remove the right front wheel.
- Remove crankshaft damper protective cover nuts.
- Push the protection towards the crankshaft damper.
- Remove the center bolt using special tool 999 7196.
- Install 999 7198 in the center hole of the crankshaft.
- Pull off the crankshaft damper.
- Remove the alternator.
- Remove right engine pad
- Remove the right-hand engine pad/bracket.
- Disconnect the power steering pump. Place the power steering pump to one side.
- Remove the bolt and clamp for the power steering hose.
- Remove the pulley from the water pump.
Remove the engine bracket and idler pulley.
Remove the 25 bolts and the front cover. Discard the gaskets.
NOTECover the hole in oil pan using a piece of paper.
Use position setting tool 999 7235 to align the position on the crankshaft with the guide on the engine block.
- Install position setting tool: 999 7236.
- Remove the position setting tool: 999 7235.
Lock the chain tensioner using a drift.
- Remove the 2 M6 bolts for the chain tensioner.
- Remove the chain tensioner.
- Remove the 2 rails.
- Remove the timing chain.
- Remove worn chain sprockets.
Adjust the color marking on the timing chain to the marking on the gear.
- Install the timing chain, sprockets, and both rails.
- Install the chain tensioner.
- Remove the drift from the chain tensioner.
Minimize the slack of the chain by turning the crankshaft slightly.
NOTEThe front cover must be cleaned before installing. Use a razor blade or plastic scraper.
Apply liquid gasket 307 57050 as illustrated. The bead diameter must be greater than 0.039 inch (1mm).
NOTEInstall the front plate within 5 minutes (curing time for liquid gasket).
- Fold the front panel in at the lower edge.
- Install the 23 M8 bolts for the front side and tighten to 18 ft. lbs. (24 Nm).
- Install the 2 M8 bolts for the oil sump and tighten to 18 ft. lbs. (24 Nm).
Install the engine bracket and the idler pulley.
NOTEThe washer must be correctly installed.
- Install the pulley for the water pump.
- Install the power steering pump.
- Install the hose clamp and the bolt.
- Install the front bolt for the alternator and tighten to 18 ft. lbs. (24 Nm).
- Install lifting beam tool 999 5716, converted with the addition of 999 7070 and 999 5460.
- Remove tool 999 5550.
Install the right-hand engine pad/bracket.
NOTEThe crankshaft flange must be cleaned.
Clean the surface for the sealing ring on the crankshaft damper with cloth 951 1024.