5- & 6-Cylinder Engines
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
With engine off, turn the steering wheel fully to the right and left several times.
NOTEDo not allow the fluid level in the reservoir tank to go below the MIN level line. Check and add fluid as needed.
- Run the engine at idle speed. Turn the steering wheel fully to the right and then fully to the left. Hold for about three seconds. Check for fluid leakage.
Repeat the above step several times at three second intervals.
NOTEDo not hold the steering wheel in the locked position for more than ten seconds.
- Check for air bubbles or cloudy fluid. If found, repeat the bleeding procedure.
- Stop the engine and check the fluid level. Fill as required.
- Fill the power steering fluid reservoir. Use Volvo power steering fluid, P/N 116 1529-1.
- Hang the oil reservoir from the hood catch. Use welding wire or similar. Ensure that the hose is extended.
- Turn the steering wheel between both end positions 10 times.
- Check and fill with oil as necessary.
- Apply the parking brake.
- Start the engine.
Perform the following steps:
- Step A-Turn the steering wheel slowly to the right, keep it at the end position for a maximum of 2 seconds.
- Step B-Turn the steering wheel to the left, keep it at the end position for a maximum of 2 seconds.
- Turn engine off and wait 5 minutes.
- Repeat Step A and Step B 10 times. Check the oil level.
- Reinstall the oil reservoir. Check the oil level.