Removal & Installation
- Raise the car.
- Remove the wheel.
- Push up the rear suspension with tool 999 5659 to a measurement of 20 inches (50cm) between the fender edge and the center of the wheel hub.
Remove or disconnect the following:
The parking brake cable from the mounting in the tie rod
Install mobile jack 998 5972 under the steering knuckle and raise carefully.
NOTEPull out the halfshaft from the wheel hub while raising the steering knuckle. Angle the shaft past the steering knuckle.
- Release the tensioner so that the control arm hangs on the shock absorber.
- Using a prybar, position the tip between the constant velocity joint housing and the final drive housing.
- Tap firmly so that the snap ring for the halfshaft releases.
Pull out the halfshaft.
NOTEDo not damage the halfshaft seal.
Lubricate the halfshaft mating surface using P/N 116 1329-6, or equivalent.
NOTEUse new snap ring for installation.
- Press the halfshaft into the final drive housing. Check that the snap ring is in the groove in the final drive.
- Check by pulling the constant velocity joint on the halfshaft.
- Lubricate the halfshaft splines using a small amount of oil.
- Position the halfshaft splines in the wheel hub. Carefully lower the mobile jack.
- Remove the mobile jack.
Press up the control arm and tensioner to the previous specified measurement so that the bolts can be installed.
NOTEAfter installing the bolts, press tensioner 999 5659, or equivalent, up to the normal position. Tighten the bolts.
Install or connect the following:
One M12 bolt for the lateral link mounting (5). Tighten to 59 ft. lbs. (80 Nm)
- Remove the tensioner.
- Install the wheel and tighten the lug nuts to 102 ft. lbs. (138 Nm).