Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
Remove or disconnect the following:
NOTEThere are two parts to the pinion seal. Use extractor 999 7023 with care. The bolt and inner socket in the extractor must be unscrewed when tapping on the extractor to remove pinion seal.
The exhaust system
- Tap extractor tool 999 7023 onto the seal so that the flat end is against the seal.
- Tighten the inner socket of tool 999 7023. Counter hold the outer part at the same time so that the tool expands against the seal.
Remove the seal using the screw in the extractor.
NOTECheck that no seal residue is left in the final drive. If the inner section of the seal remains in place, tap in the extractor again and pull out the inner section. Do not hammer on the extractor too hard. This can cause damage in the extractor, which in turn can scratch the mating surface on the pinion shaft.
- Remove the pinion seal.
The seal consists of two sections but is installed as one unit.
- Lubricate the edge of the seal.
- Use drift 999 7024 for installation. Position the section of the seal with the largest outer diameter against the drift.
Tap in the seal until the head of the drift is against the final drive housing.
Install or connect the following:
The Active on Demand Coupling (AOC)
- Refill the oil in the final drive and AOC