Check spark plugs for the following:
- Broken insulator
- Worn electrode
- Carbon deposits
- Damaged or broken gasket
- Condition of the porcelain insulator at the tip of the spark plug
- Replace as necessary
Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
Remove spark plug wire from the spark plug.
NOTEPull on the spark plug wire boot when removing the spark plug wire to avoid damage to the wire.
- Clean loose debris away from area of spark plug to keep contaminants from entering engine when spark plug is removed.
- Remove the spark plug using a spark plug socket and wrench.
To install:5- & 6-Cylinder Engines
- Be sure the spark plug gap is set to 0.030 inch (0.763mm).
- Carefully install the spark plug and tighten to 20-22 ft. lbs. (27-29 Nm).
- Be sure the spark plug gap is set to 0.028 in. (0.712mm).
- Carefully install the spark plug and tighten 18 ft. lbs. (24 Nm).