- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Disconnect negative battery cable.
Remove the air bag module:
WARNINGUnder no circumstances use an ohmmeter or other live measuring instrument to take readings on a disconnected, non-deployed pyrotechnical Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) component. There is also a risk of the seat belt tensioner deploying. Pyrotechnical SRS components must never be taken apart, repaired, or transferred to another vehicle.
- With battery disconnected, move the ignition key to Position II.
- Turn the steering wheel 1 / 4 turn so that the two holes on the rear of the steering wheel are accessible.
- Insert a screwdriver in the holes on the reverse of the steering wheel. The screwdriver must be at a right-angle to the rear surface of the steering wheel.
- Place the screwdriver point against the top of the spring clip as illustrated.
- Pry the screwdriver up against the upper edge of the hole (2) so that the point of the screwdriver presses down the catch (1) until the catch releases.
- Turn the steering wheel 1 / 2 turn in the opposite direction.
- Repeat the process on the other side.
- Turn the steering wheel to the neutral position.
- Fold out the air bag.
- Disconnect the 2 connectors (there may be more or less) for the SRS ignition cables for the air bag.
Remove the air bag.
CAUTIONThe removed air bag module should be stored in a clean, dry place with the pad cover face up.
- Lock the contact reel in position with the locking screw as illustrated.
- Remove the bolt securing the steering wheel to the steering column.
- Pull the steering wheel straight back.
- Pull the cable harness through the hole in the steering wheel.
Remove the steering wheel.
- Pull the cable harness through the hole of steering wheel.
- Install the steering wheel in place.
Install the center bolt for the steering wheel. Use a new bolt. Tighten in 2 steps:
- Step 1-22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm).
- Step 2-angle-tighten 30°
- Remove the locking screw holding the contact reel.
Install the air bag module:
NOTEFor air bags (replacement part) supplied without keypads, for Audio, RTI, and cruise control, an upgrade kit must be ordered.
- Install the 2 connectors (there may be more or fewer).
Press the air bag into place.
CAUTIONEnsure that the wiring is not trapped during installation.
Check that the SRS is functioning properly:
- Install the battery negative lead.
- Check that the SRS indicator lamp is not defective by turning the key to Position II.
- The SRS indicator lamp must light and go out after approximately seven seconds.
- Check that the SRS indicator lamp in the combined instrument panel is not constantly lit. Fault-trace the SRS if the lamp is constantly lit.