Diagnosis & Testing
Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
If the power mirror system fuse is open and a short to ground in the battery positive voltage circuit is not detected, the fault could be a short to ground in one of the power mirror control circuits. This would open the power mirror system fuse when the mirror switch is pressed.
If both power mirrors are inoperative on one or more axis, the most probable cause is a power mirror switch failure. However, the fault could be an open circuit on two or more of the power mirror control circuits.
The outside mirror switch incorporates a mirror select switch and a 4-position mirror direction switch.
The mirror select switch allows the driver to select the mirror to be moved by pressing the switch to L position enabling the left outside mirror or pressing the switch to R position enabling the right outside mirror.
The mirror direction switch is a 4-position switch that allows the operator to move the selected mirror up, down, left or right.Testing Circuits & Components
The power mirror system consists of the following components:
Each of the outside power mirrors contains 2 motors. The up-down motor operates the vertical directions and the left-right motor operates the horizontal directions. Each of the power mirror motors are internally circuit breaker protected.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Disconnect the power mirror switch.
- Probe the battery positive voltage circuit of the power mirror switch harness connector with a test lamp that is connected to a ground. The test lamp should illuminate.
- Disconnect the inoperative power mirror.
- Connect a test lamp between the appropriate mirror motor control circuits of the power mirror harness connector.
- Place the mirror selector switch to the mirror to be tested.
- Operate the power mirror switch in both directions for the functions being tested.
- The test lamp should illuminate in both directions.
Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the power mirror switch.