- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Unless battery voltage is necessary for testing, disconnect the negative battery cable. This will prevent the fuel pump from running and causing a fuel spill through the disconnected components if the ignition key is accidentally turned ON .
- Remove the air cleaner assembly, for access.
Connect gauge bar 53476 to fuel gauge pressure adapter 309725 using a flexible hose from gauge bar set SA9127E. Make sure the needle valve on the pressure adapter is off.
NOTEDo not use tools to tighten the adapter to the pressure port. If the adapter will not hand-tighten the seals are defective and needs to be replaced.
- Wrap a shop rag around the fuel test port fitting, located at the lower rear of the engine, then remove the cap and connect fuel pressure gauge.
- Install the bleed hose from the pressure gauge into an approved container and open the valve to bleed the system pressure.
- After the pressure is bled, remove the gauge from the test port and recap it.
- Install the air cleaner assembly.
After servicing the vehicle, connect the negative battery cable and prime the fuel system as follows:
- Turn the ignition ON for 5 seconds, then OFF for 10 seconds.
- Repeat the ON/OFF cycle 2 more times.
- Crank the engine until it starts.
- If the engine does not readily start, repeat sub-steps A-C.
- Run the engine and check for leaks.