Removal & Installation
Before servicing any vehicle, please be sure to read the precautions section, which deals with personal safety, prevention of component damage, and important points to take into consideration when servicing a motor vehicle.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disable the SIR system. Refer to Air Bag (Supplemental Restraint System), disarming the system.
- Remove the steering column trim covers.
- Insert key into the ignition and rotate to the RUN position. Then rotate ignition cylinder back to ACC position.
Depress the locking button through hole on side of ignition module assembly with a thin pick-type tool then slide the lock cylinder from the ignition housing.
Insert the appropriate tumbler (3) according to the key code into the corresponding tumbler ward.
- The tumblers will not immediately seat into position because the sidebar has been pre-assembled. The tumblers will have to be pushed past the sidebar with a small flat screwdriver or pocket knife.
- The tumbler springs (2) should then be inserted into the spring wells in the cylinder (4) where they will sit on top of the tumblers.
- The seal plate (1) will be installed and crimped.
- Insert the seal plate locator legs into the receptacle slots in the cylinder--seal plate will seat into position only when the two locator legs have been properly inserted into the receptacles on the cylinder.
- While holding the seal plate in position with the thumb, insert the key into the cylinder and watch for the side bar to drop. If the side bar does not drop, the lock is tumbled wrong and you need to start over.
- Ensure that the side bar does not drop on an angle. The side bar must be completely flush to the cylinder diameter.
Stake (1) the two metal areas of the cylinder (2) directly over the seal plate legs with a hammer and punch or chisel.
Repeat this stake on the areas of the cylinder directly opposite of the first 2 stakes.
NOTEActuator blade within the ignition module must be in ACC position to install the lock cylinder assembly. If rotated, reposition the actuator blade to the ACC position using needle nose pliers.
- Insert the key into the ignition lock cylinder and install the cylinder into the lock housing.
- Rotate the lock cylinder in the housing. Verify proper rotation.
- Install the steering column trim covers.
- Enable the SIR system. Refer to Air Bag (Supplemental Restraint System), arming the system.
- Connect the negative battery cable.