- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Apply and fully release the park brake several times. Verify that the park brake lever releases completely.
- Turn ON the ignition. Verify the red BRAKE warning lamp is not illuminated.
If the red BRAKE warning lamp is illuminated, verify the following:
- The park brake lever is in the fully released position and against the stop.
- There is no slack in the park brake cable.
- Turn OFF the ignition.
- Disable the SIR system. Refer to Air Bag (Supplemental Restraint System), disarming the system.
- Remove the front floor console.
- With the park brake lever in the released position, using ONLY hand tools, loosen the adjusting nut completely to the end of the front cable threaded rod.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the rear tire and wheel assemblies.
- Adjust the rear drum brakes.
- Ensure there is no brake shoe drag after adjustment by rotating the brake drums. If drag exists, re-center the brake shoes and perform the brake shoe adjustment again.
- Install 2 wheel nuts to the wheel studs and firmly hand tighten in order to retain the brake drums.
- Lower the vehicle to permit access to the park brake lever.
- Raise the park brake lever 1 detent position.
Using ONLY hand tools, tighten the park brake cable adjusting nut (1) until light to moderate drag is exhibited while rotating the rear brake drums
- Attempt to rotate the rear brake drums. There should be no rotation forward or rearward.
- Fully release the park brake lever.
- Verify the park brake is released by rotating the rear brake drums. The drums should rotate freely and exhibit no brake shoe drag.
- If the drums do not rotate freely, repeat the park brake cable adjustment procedure.
Raise the park brake lever 3 detent positions and attempt to rotate the rear brake drums:
- One of the brake drums should not rotate forward or rearward.
- The other brake drum should not rotate forward or rearward, or should require substantial effort to rotate
- Raise the vehicle.
- Remove the wheel nuts retaining the brake drums.
- Install the rear tire and wheel assemblies.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Install the front floor console.
- Release the park brake lever.
- Enable the SIR system. Refer to Air Bag (Supplemental Restraint System), arming the system.