- Remove the four bolts and the hood sub-assembly.
- Safely raise and secure the vehicle. Remove the front wheels.
- Remove the drain plug and gasket, and drain the ATF. Install a new gasket and the drain plug. Tighten to 36 ft. lbs. (49 Nm).
- Remove the wiper motor and link.
- Remove the battery assembly.
- Remove the 4 nuts and the plastic engine cover.
- Remove the air cleaner assembly.
- Position wheels facing straight ahead.
- Separate steering sliding yoke sub-assembly. Refer to Steering Column in Steering.
- Remove the floor carpet and 2 clips and remove the column hole cover silencer. Refer to Steering Column in Steering.
Separate transmission control cable assembly:
- Remove the nut and disconnect the control cable from the control shaft lever.
- Remove the clip and disconnect the control cable from the control cable bracket.
- Remove the bolt and separate No. 3 engine wire from the automatic transaxle. Separate the 2 clamps from the engine mount insulator.
- Separate the park neutral position switch connector and separate the clamp from the engine mount insulator LH.
- Separate the transmission wire connector and separate the clamp from the engine mount insulator.
- Separate the transmission revolution sensor connector.
- Separate the vehicle speed sensor connector.
- Remove the 3 bolts and separate the 3 wire harness clamp brackets from the automatic transaxle.
- Remove the starter assembly.
- Remove LH and RH front axle hub nut.
- Separate front speed sensor LH and RH (w/ ABS).
- Separate front LH and RH stabilizer link assembly.
- Separate LH and RH tie rod end sub-assembly.
- Separate LH and RH front lower suspension arm.
- Separate LH and RH front axle assembly.
- Remove automatic transmission case protector (w/o ABS). Remove the 2 bolts and remove the transmission case protector from the automatic transaxle.
- Remove front halfshaft assembly .
- Suspend the engine assembly.
- Separate the inlet oil cooler hose from inlet No. 1 oil cooler tube.
- Separate the outlet oil cooler hose from outlet No. 1 oil cooler tube.
- Remove the bolt and nut and separate the engine moving control rod from the bracket.
- Remove the front suspension crossmember assembly.
- Remove the 3 bolts and remove the engine moving control rod bracket.
- Support the automatic transmission with the transmission jack.
- Remove the bolt and nut and separate the engine mounting insulator LH from the bracket.
- Remove the 4 bolts and remove the engine mounting bracket LH from the automatic transaxle.
- Remove automatic transaxle assembly:
- Apply clutch spline grease to the round of the crankshaft contact surface (*1) with the torque converter centerpiece. Clutch spline grease: Toyota Genuine Clutch Spline Grease or equivalent. Maximum spread: Approximately 0.353 ounces.
Install the automatic transaxle onto the engine with the 7 bolts. Tighten to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm).
NOTEConfirm that 2 knock pins are on the transaxle fitting surface of the engine block before transaxle installation. After installing the transmission, confirm that the torque converter rotates smoothly.
Remove any adhesive remaining in the 6 bolt holes of the torque converter clutch and 6 bolts. Apply adhesive to 2 or 3 threads on the end of the 6 bolts. Adhesive: Toyota Genuine Adhesive 1324, Three Bond 1324 or equivalent.
- Install the 6 torque converter set bolts while holding the crankshaft pulley bolt with a wrench. Tighten to 21 ft. lbs. (28 Nm).
- Install the flywheel housing under cover.
Install engine mounting bracket LH:
- Remove any adhesive remaining in the 4 bolt holes on the engine mounting bracket LH and 4 bolts.
- Apply adhesive to 2 or 3 threads on the end of the 4 bolts. Adhesive: Toyota Genuine Adhesive 1324, Three Bond 1324 or equivalent.
- Install the engine mounting bracket LH onto the automatic transaxle with the 4 bolts. Tighten to 47 ft. lbs. (64 Nm).
Install engine mounting insulator LH:
- Install the engine mounting insulator LH and the engine mounting bracket LH with the bolt and nut. Tighten to 38 ft. lbs. (52 Nm).
Install engine moving control rod bracket:
- Install the engine moving control bracket onto the automatic transaxle with the 3 bolts. Tighten to 29 lbs. (39 Nm).
- To complete installation, reverse the remaining removal procedure.
- Add automatic transaxle fluid. Toyota Genuine ATF WS or equivalent. Drain and refill will take 2.6 quarts.
- Inspect the fluid.
- Check for leakage.
Adjust shift lever position:
- Shift the shift lever to the N position.
Slide the adjuster case cover in the direction shown in the illustration and pull out the lock piece.
- Gently pull the cable rod toward the rear of the vehicle by hand to pull the cable taut.
Press the lock piece into the adjuster case and lock it.
Slide the cover in the direction shown in the illustration.
NOTESlide the cover past the protrusion of the lock piece.
Inspect the operation after the adjustment.
Inspect shift lever position:
- When shifting the lever from P to the R position with the ignition switch ON and the brake pedal depressed, make sure that the shift lever moves smoothly and moves correctly into position.
- Start the engine and make sure that the vehicle moves forward when shifting the lever from N to the D position and moves rearward when shifting the lever to the R position. If the operation cannot be performed as specified, inspect the park/neutral position switch assembly and check the shift lever assembly installation condition.
- Inspect and adjust front wheel alignment.