Removal & Installation
- Remove the wiper motor and link assembly.
- Remove the lower instrument panel assembly.
- Remove the battery assembly.
- Remove the ABS hydraulic unit.
- Remove the brake booster:
Loosen the clip and disconnect the clutch reservoir tube from the clutch master cylinder assembly.
NOTEWash off clutch fluid immediately if it comes in contact with any painted surface.
- Using a union nut wrench (10 mm), disconnect the clutch line. Use a container to catch the fluid.
Remove clutch master cylinder assembly:
- Remove the clip and hole pin.
- Remove the 2 nuts and clutch master cylinder.
- Remove clutch master cylinder push rod clevis:
Install clutch master cylinder push rod clevis:
- Install the lock nut onto the push rod.
- Install the push rod clevis.
- Tighten the lock nut and check the dimension A is same as the dimension A that has been measured.
Install clutch master cylinder assembly:
- Install the clutch master cylinder with the 2 nuts. Tighten to 80 inch lbs. (9 Nm).
- Connect clutch master cylinder to flexible hose tube. Using a union nut wrench, connect the flexible hose tube. Tighten to 11 ft. lbs. (15 Nm).
- Connect the clutch reservoir tube with the clip to the clutch master cylinder assembly.
Install brake booster assembly:
- Provisionally install the push rod clevis onto the brake booster.
- Install a new gasket onto the brake booster.
- Install the brake booster with the 4 nuts. Tighten to 80 inch lbs. (9 Nm).
- Connect the vacuum hose to the vacuum check valve with the clip.
Inspect and adjust clutch pedal sub-assembly:
- Pull back the floor carpet.
- Check that the pedal height is correct. Pedal height from floor: 5.236 to 5.630 inches.
If the pedal height is not as specified, adjust it as follows:
Loosen the lock nut and turn the stopper bolt until the correct height is obtained.
Inspect and adjust pedal free play and push rod play:
- Check that the pedal free play and push rod play are correct. Depress the pedal until clutch resistance begins to be felt. Pedal free play: 0.197 to 0.591 inches.
- Gently depress the pedal until the resistance begins to increase a little. Push rod play at pedal top: 0.039 to 0.197 inches.
- Adjust the pedal free play and push rod play. Loosen the lock nut and turn the push rod until the correct free play and push rod play are obtained. Tighten the lock nut to 8.7 ft. lbs. (12 Nm).
- After adjusting the pedal free play, check the pedal height.
Inspect and adjust clutch release point:
- Check the clutch release point:
- Pull the parking brake lever and install a wheel stoppers.
- Start the engine and run it at idle.
- Without depressing the clutch pedal, slowly move the shift lever into reverse until the gears come into contact.
- Gradually depress the clutch pedal and measure the stroke distance from the point that the gear noise stops (release point) up to the full stroke end position.
- Standard distance: 0.98 inches or more (From pedal stroke end position to release point).
If the distance is not as specified, perform the following operations:
Check pedal height.
- To complete the installation, reverse the remaining removal procedure.