Removal & Installation
- Drain the engine oil.
- Drain and recycle the engine coolant.
- Properly relieve the fuel system pressure.
- Remove the camshaft assembly. Refer to Camshaft in this section.
- Remove the timing chain sprockets and cover. Refer to Timing Chain And Sprockets in this section.
- Remove the intake manifold. Refer to Intake Manifold in this section.
- Remove the exhaust manifold.
Remove the cylinder head. Using several steps, uniformly loosen and remove the 10 cylinder head bolts with an 8 mm bi-hexagon wrench in the sequence shown in the illustration. Remove the 10 plate washers.
NOTEDo not drop the washers into the cylinder head. Head warpage or cracking could result from removing the bolts in the wrong order.
Remove the cylinder head gasket.
Place a new cylinder head gasket on the cylinder block with the Lot No. stamp facing upward.
NOTERemove any oil from the contact surfaces. Check the mounting orientation of the cylinder head gasket. Place the cylinder head on the cylinder head gently in order not to damage the gasket.
- Install cylinder head sub-assembly:
- Mark the front of the cylinder head bolt with paint.
Retighten the cylinder head bolts 90° and then an additional by 90° as shown in the illustration.
- Check that the paint mark is now at a 180°angle from the front.
Apply a continuous bead of seal packing (Diameter 4.5 to 5.5 mm (0.177 to 0.217 in.)) as shown in the illustration. Seal Packing: Toyota Genuine Seal Packing Black, Three Bond 1207B or Equivalent.
NOTERemove any oil from the contact surfaces. Install the oil pump assembly within 3 minutes and tighten the bolts within 15 minutes of applying the seal packing.
- To complete installation, reverse the remaining removal procedure.