Removal & Installation
- Disconnect cable from negative battery terminal.
- Remove front wheel RH.
- Remove engine under cover RH.
- Drain engine oil.
- Drain engine coolant.
- Remove cylinder head cover no. 2.
- Remove fan & generator v belt.
- Remove generator assembly.
- Remove ignition coil no. 1.
- Disconnect ventilation hose.
- Disconnect ventilation hose no. 2.
- Remove cylinder head cover sub-assembly.
- Remove engine mounting insulator sub-assembly RH.
- Remove the crankshaft damper.
- Remove Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor.
- Remove camshaft timing oil control valve assembly.
- Remove water pump assembly.
Remove the 4 bolts and remove the transverse engine mounting bracket.
- Remove the 15 bolts and the nut.
Using a screwdriver with its tip wrapped in protective tape, prize the timing cover assembly to remove it.
NOTEDo not damage the contact surfaces of the oil pump assembly or oil pan sub-assembly.
Remove the 2 O-rings from the cylinder block and oil pan sub-assembly.
NOTEDo not rotate the crankshaft with the chain tensioner removed. When rotating the camshaft with the timing chain removed, rotate the crankshaft counterclockwise 40°from the TDC first.
Remove chain tensioner assembly no. 1:
Pull up the stopper plate and hold it with its lock released.
Unlock the plunger of the tensioner and push it in to the end.
Pull down the stopper plate with the plunger pushed to the end and lock the plunger.
Insert a 3 mm (0.12 in.) diameter bar into the hole in the stopper plate and lock the plunger.
Remove the 2 bolts and remove chain tensioner assembly No. 1.
- Pull up the stopper plate and hold it with its lock released.
- Remove the chain tensioner slipper.
- Remove the 2 bolts and remove chain vibration damper No. 1.
Remove chain sub-assembly.
Make sure that all the timing marks are in the positions (TDC) shown in the illustration.
NOTEThe positions of the timing marks may differ from the predetermined positions due to the force of the valve spring.
Set the timing mark of the crankshaft in a position between 40 and 140°ATDC as illustrated.
- Set the camshaft timing gear and the camshaft timing sprocket in the positions ( 20°ATDC) shown in the illustration.
Set the crankshaft in the position ( 20°ATDC) shown in the illustration.
- Install chain vibration damper No. 1 with the 2 bolts.
Align the timing marks of the camshaft with the mark plates of the timing chain and install the timing chain.
- Install the chain tensioner slipper.
- Install chain tensioner assembly No. 1 with the 2 bolts.
- Remove the bar from chain tensioner assembly No. 1.
Install 2 new O-rings in the 2 locations shown in the illustration.
Apply seal packing to the oil pump assembly, cylinder head and cylinder block as shown in the illustration. Seal packing: Water pump part Toyota Genuine Seal Packing 1282B, Three Bond 1282B or Equivalent. Other part Toyota Genuine Seal Packing Black, Three Bond 1207B or Equivalent
- Remove any oil from the contact surfaces.
- Install the oil pump assembly within 3 minutes and tighten the bolts and nut within 15 minutes of applying the seal packing.
- Do not expose the seal to engine oil for at least 2 hours after the installation.
Align the keyway of the oil pump rotor with the rectangular portion of the crankshaft, and slide the oil pump into place.
NOTEAfter installing the oil pump assembly, install the mounting bracket and water pump within 15 minutes.
- Install the oil pump assembly with the 15 bolts and the nut. Tighten the bolts and nut uniformly in several steps:
- Install the transverse engine mounting bracket with the 4 bolts. Tighten to 41 ft. lbs. (55 Nm).
- To complete installation, reverse the remaining removal procedure.
- Add engine oil.
- Add coolant.
- Check for leaks.