Removal & Installation
Observe all applicable safety precautions when working around fuel. Whenever servicing the fuel system, always work in a well ventilated area. Do not allow fuel spray or vapors to come in contact with a spark or open flame. Keep a dry chemical fire extinguisher near the work area. Always keep fuel in a container specifically designed for fuel storage; also, always properly seal fuel containers to avoid the possibility of fire or explosion.
- Properly relieve the fuel system pressure.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the engine cover.
- Remove the ignition coils.
- Disconnect the ventilation hose.
- Disconnect ventilation hose No. 2.
- Disconnect the fuel injector connectors.
- Disconnect the connector and 3 wire harness clamps shown in the illustration and disconnect the engine wire harness.
- Remove the bolt and remove the wire harness bracket.
Remove the 9 bolts, 2 nuts and 2 seal washers and then remove the cylinder head cover sub-assembly.
Apply seal packing to the cylinder head as shown in the illustration. Seal Packing: Toyota Genuine Seal Packing Black, Three Bond 1207B or Equivalent.
NOTERemove any oil from the contact surface.
NOTERemove any oil from the contact surfaces. Install the cylinder head cover within 3 minutes and tighten the bolts within 15 minutes after applying seal packing. Do not start the engine for at least 2 hours after the installation.
- Install the cylinder head cover sub-assembly with the 9 bolts, 2 nuts and 2 seal washers.. Tighten to 7 ft. lbs. (10 Nm) in sequence.
To complete installation, reverse remaining removal procedure.