Removal & Installation
Observe all applicable safety precautions when working around fuel. Whenever servicing the fuel system, always work in a well ventilated area. Do not allow fuel spray or vapors to come in contact with a spark or open flame. Keep a dry chemical fire extinguisher near the work area. Always keep fuel in a container specifically designed for fuel storage; also, always properly seal fuel containers to avoid the possibility of fire or explosion.
- Properly relieve the fuel system pressure.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the valve cover.
- Remove the ignition coils.
- Remove the engine cover.
Disconnect fuel tube sub-assembly:
- Remove the fuel pipe clamp.
Pinch the retainer of the fuel tube connector, then pull the fuel tube connector to disconnect the fuel tube out of the fuel delivery pipe sub-assembly.
NOTENote the following:
Remove any dirt and foreign matter from the fuel tube connector before performing this work.
Remove the 3 bolts and remove the fuel delivery pipe sub-assembly with 4 fuel injectors.
NOTEDo not drop the fuel injectors when removing the fuel delivery pipe sub-assembly.
- Remove the 2 delivery pipe No. 1 spacers.
- Remove the 4 injector vibration insulators.
Pull the 4 fuel injector assemblies out of the fuel delivery pipe sub-assembly.
- Apply a light coat of gasoline or spindle oil to new O-rings, then install one onto each fuel injector.
- Apply a light coat of gasoline or spindle oil to the contact surfaces of the fuel delivery pipe and the O-ring of the fuel injector.
While turning the fuel injector left and right, install it onto the fuel delivery pipe.
NOTEDo not twist the O-ring. After installing the fuel injectors, check that they turn smoothly. If not, replace the O-ring with a new one.
- Install 4 new injector vibration insulators onto the cylinder head.
Install the 2 No. 1 delivery pipe spacers onto the cylinder head.
NOTEInstall the delivery pipe No. 1 spacer in the correct direction.
Install the fuel delivery pipe sub-assembly with the 4 fuel injectors, then provisionally install the 3 bolts.
NOTEDo not drop the fuel injectors when installing the fuel delivery pipe sub-assembly. Check that the fuel injectors rotate smoothly after installing the fuel delivery pipe sub-assembly.
Connect fuel tube sub-assembly:
Insert the fuel tube connector into the fuel delivery pipe until a click sound can be heard.
NOTECheck that there are no scratches or foreign matter around the disconnected parts of the fuel tube connector and pipe before performing this work. After connecting the fuel tube, check that the fuel tube connector and pipe are securely connected by pulling them.
- Insert the fuel tube connector into the fuel delivery pipe until a click sound can be heard.
- Install the fuel pipe clamp.
- To complete installation, reverse the remaining removal procedure.
Check for fuel leakage:
- Connect the Techstream to the DLC3.
Turn the ignition switch to ON and turn the tester ON.
NOTEDo not start the engine.
- Select the following menu items: Powertrain / Engine and ECT / Active Test / Control the Fuel Pump / Speed.
- Check that there is no fuel leakage anywhere on the fuel system after doing maintenance.
- Check for engine oil leakage.