Some models covered by this manual may be equipped with a Supplemental Restraint System (SRS), which uses an air bag. Whenever working near any of the SRS components, such as the impact sensors, the air bag module, steering column and instrument panel, disable the SRS, as described in the Chassis Electrical Section.
- Turn the front wheels to face straight ahead.
Disconnect the negative battery cable.
CAUTIONWait at least 90 seconds after disconnecting the cable from the negative (-) battery terminal to disable the SRS system.
- Remove the driver-s side air bag.
- Remove the steering wheel assembly.
Remove steering column cover:
- Remove the 3 screws, disengage the 2 claws, release the tilt lever and remove the steering column lower cover.
- Disengage the claw and remove the steering column upper cover.
- Remove combination switch assembly.
- Remove instrument panel finish panel end LH and RH.
- Remove instrument cluster finish panel no.1.
- Remove combination meter assembly.
- Remove front door opening trim weatherstrip LH and RH.
- Remove front pillar garnish LH and RH.
- Remove front pillar garnish LH.
- Remove glove compartment door assembly.
- Remove no. 1 switch hole base.
- Remove upper instrument panel sub-assembly .
Disconnect power steering ECU:
- Detach the power steering motor harness and torque sensor wire harness clamps from the power steering ECU side.
- Disconnect the 2 steering column assembly connectors from the power steering ECU.
- Remove instrument panel under cover sub-assembly LH.
- Remove lower instrument panel finish panel sub-assembly.
- Remove the 2 bolts and remove the reinforcement instrument panel sub.
- Pull back the floor carpet, remove the 2 clips and remove the column hole cover silencer sheet.
Remove no. 2 steering intermediate shaft assembly:
- Loosen bolt A.
- Place matchmarks on the steering intermediate assembly and steering gear assembly.
- Remove bolt B and detach the steering intermediate assembly from the steering gear assembly.
- Place matchmarks on the steering intermediate assembly and steering column assembly.
Remove bolt C and detach the steering intermediate shaft assembly from the steering column assembly.
Remove brake pedal (for automatic transaxle):
- Using needle-nose pliers, remove the brake pedal return spring.
- Remove the clip from the brake master cylinder push rod clevis pin.
- Remove the brake master cylinder push rod clevis pin and detach the push rod clevis from the brake pedal.
- Remove the bolt, nut and 2 brake pedal bushes, and remove the brake pedal assembly.
- Remove brake master cylinder push rod clevis (for manual transaxle).
- Remove brake pedal support (for manual transaxle).
Remove steering column assembly:
- Disconnect all connectors and detach all wire harness clamps from the steering column assembly.
- Remove the 3 bolts and remove the steering column assembly from the instrument panel reinforcement assembly.
- To install, reverse the removal procedure.
- Inspect SRS warning light turns off.
Calibrate torque sensor zero point.