Some models covered by this manual may be equipped with a Supplemental Restraint System (SRS), which uses an air bag. Whenever working near any of the SRS components, such as the impact sensors, the air bag module, steering column and instrument panel, disable the SRS, as described in the Chassis Electrical Section.
- Turn the front wheels to face straight ahead.
Disconnect the negative battery cable.
CAUTIONWait at least 90 seconds after disconnecting the cable from the negative (-) battery terminal to disable the SRS system.
- Remove lower no. 3 and no. 2 steering wheel cover.
- Remove the driver-s side airbag.
Remove steering wheel assembly:
- Remove the steering wheel assembly set nut.
- Put matchmarks on the steering wheel assembly and the steering main shaft.
Disconnect the connectors from the spiral cable.
NOTEApply a small amount of grease to the threads and tip of SST (09953-05020) before use.
- Using a steering wheel puller (SST: 09950-50013), remove the steering wheel assembly.
- Align the matchmarks on the steering wheel assembly and steering main shaft.
- Install the steering wheel assembly set nut. Tighten to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm).
To complete installation, reverse remaining removal procedure.