Never smoke or carry lighted tobacco or open flame of any type when working on or near any fuel-related component. Highly flammable mixtures are always present and may be ignited. Failure to follow these precautions may result in personal injury or death.
Do not carry personal electronic devices such as cell phones, pagers or audio equipment of any type when working on or near any fuel-related components. Highly flammable mixtures are always present and may be ignited. Failure to follow these instructions may result in personal injury.
- Release the fuel system pressure, as outlined in the Fuel Section.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Release the fuel tank filler cap and position aside.
WARNINGUpon removing the special tool, the fitting on the end of the hose can become detained by the one-way flapper valve. Carefully remove the hose using a gentle agitating motion to avoid detaching the hose from the fitting.
NOTEThe special tool must be inserted into the fuel tank filler pipe until the fitting on the end of the hose enters into the fuel tank spout, opening the one-way flapper valve.
Insert the special tool into the fuel tank filler pipe.
NOTEThis step will remove about 1 / 8 tank of the fuel from a completely full fuel tank and the majority of any residual fuel in the fuel tank filler pipe.
- Attach the fuel storage tanker to the special tool and remove as much fuel as possible from the fuel tank and fuel tank filler pipe.
- Remove the rear seat lower cushion.
- Position aside the carpet and/or any insulation covering the fuel level sensor access cover.
- Remove the 3 screws and the fuel level sensor access cover.
Disconnect the fuel level sensor electrical connector.
WARNINGPlace absorbent pads in the general work area in case of fuel spillage.
Release the lock tab, rotate the fuel level sensor counterclockwise approximately
turn and lift upward.
WARNINGHandle the fuel level sensor carefully to avoid damage to the float arm.
WARNINGCarefully remove the fuel level sensor from the fuel tank to avoid fuel spillage inside the vehicle.
Carefully lift and remove the fuel level sensor from the fuel tank.
WARNINGInspect the mating surfaces of the fuel level sensor flange and the fuel tank O-ring seal contact surfaces. Do not polish or adjust the O-ring seal contact area of the fuel tank flange or the fuel tank. Install a new fuel level sensor or fuel tank if the O-ring seal contact area is bent, scratched or corroded.
WARNINGMake sure to install a new fuel level sensor O-ring seal.
NOTETo install, apply clean engine oil to the O-ring seal.
- Remove and discard the fuel level sensor O-ring seal.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure, noting the following:.
Make sure the fuel level sensor locking tab is correctly positioned
- Tighten the fuel level sensor access cover to 2 Nm (18 lb-in).