Removal & Installation
- Raise and support the vehicle.
- Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
- Remove the disc brake caliper and brake disc and hub.
- Remove the brake disc shield.
- Remove the cotter pin and the castellated nut.
- Using the Pitman Arm Puller disconnect the tie rod end.
- Remove the cotter pin and the lower ball joint nut. Discard the cotter pin,
Remove the pinch bolt and the camber adjuster.
CAUTIONTo prevent damage to the ball joint seal and the ball joint socket, do not use a pickle fork-type remover to loosen the ball joints.
- Strike the lower end of the axle to loosen the ball joint.
- Remove the front wheel spindle.
- Remove the front coil spring.
- Remove the radius arm-to-axle nut and bolt.
- Remove the spring retainer and insulator.
- Remove the nut.
- Remove the washer and rear insulator.
- Remove the radius arm from the bracket, and remove the spacer, insulator and washer.
- In order to obtain clearance for the pivot bolt removal when servicing the RH front axle, it may be necessary to raise the LH side of the vehicle to relieve the weight on the suspension.
Remove the pivot nut and bolt and remove the axle.
- Inspect the pivot bushing for wear or damage. Replace as necessary.
- Position the front axle into the pivot bracket and install the pivot bolt and nut hand-tight.
- Inspect the radius arm insulators for wear or damage. Replace as necessary.
- Install the washer, insulator and spacer and pull the radius arm through the bracket.
- Install the rear insulator, washer and nut and tighten hand-tight.
- Install the spring retainer and insulator.
- Install the radius arm-to-axle nut and bolt.
- Tighten the radius arm-to-axle nut and bolt to 220 ft. lbs. (298 Nm).
- Tighten the rear radius arm nut to 98 ft. lbs. (133 Nm).
- Install the front coil spring.
- Position the front wheel spindle in the front axle.
- Install the ball joint nut and tighten to 130 ft. lbs. (176 Nm).
- Install the new cotter pin.
- Install the camber adjuster and pinch bolt and tighten to 76 ft. lbs. (100 Nm).
- Install the brake disc shield.
- Install the brake disc and hub and the disc brake caliper.
- Using a new cotter pin, install the tie rod end in the front wheel spindle and tighten to 66 ft. lbs. (90 Nm).
- Install the tire and wheel assembly.
- Lower the vehicle and, with the vehicle weight on the suspension, tighten the axle pivot bolt and nut to 130 ft. lbs. (176 Nm).
- Perform front end alignment.