Removal & Installation
Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
CAUTIONElectronic modules are sensitive to static electrical charges. If exposed to these charges, damage may result.
NOTETo deplete the backup power supply energy, disconnect the battery ground cable and wait at least 1 minute. Be sure to disconnect auxiliary batteries and power supplies (if equipped).
Remove the driver air bag module as follows:
- Remove the two steering wheel back cover plugs.
- Remove the two driver air bag module bolts.
- Disconnect the horn electrical connector.
- Disconnect the clockspring electrical connector.
- Remove the driver air bag module.
Remove the passenger side air bag module as follows:
- Remove the RH lower instrument panel.
- Remove the bolts. Remove the RH lower instrument panel reinforcement.
- Disconnect the passenger air bag module electrical connector.
- Remove the inner RH lower instrument panel reinforcement mounting bracket.
Remove the passenger air bag module retaining bolts.
CAUTIONDo not handle the passenger air bag module by grabbing the edges of the deployment door.
- Remove the passenger air bag.
- Release the passenger air bag retaining tabs. (retainer on each side).
- Separate the passenger air bag module from the instrument panel.
- Remove the passenger air bag module.
- Remove the steering column. For additional information, refer to the following section, -Steering Column, Removal & Installation.-
- On the high series console, release the locking tabs and remove the storage bin.
- Through the floor console opening, push and hold the locking clip while lifting upward to remove the floor console.
- Release the engine cover latches and remove the engine cover (doghouse).
- Remove the instrument panel cowl top screws.
- Remove the upper center instrument panel access panel.
- Disconnect the climate control vacuum harness connector.
- Remove the LH upper access panel.
- Remove the instrument panel cowl top nut.
Remove the six dash brace bolts and remove the instrument panel dash brace.
- From under the hood, remove the mounting bolts and position the coolant reservoir aside.
- Remove the main wiring assembly/lower bulkhead connector as follows:
- Remove the RH A-pillar lower trim panel.
- Remove the locking clip and disconnect the electronic crash sensor (ECS) module electrical connector.
- Disconnect the RH instrument panel cowl side wiring electrical connectors.
- Disconnect the antenna cable from the radio and release the cable locators from the instrument panel.
- Remove the RH instrument panel bolts.
Remove the LH instrument panel bolts.
NOTERemoving the instrument panel from the vehicle requires an assistant.
- Remove the instrument panel from the vehicle through the passenger side door.
- Installation is the reverse order of removal.