Removal & Installation
Dana Model 60, 70 & 80 Axle
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Release the tension on the parking brake cables.
- Raise and support the vehicle.
- Remove the rear tire and wheel assemblies.
- Remove the drive pinion.
- Remove the brake cable bolt from the lower shock mounting on both sides.
- Remove the bolts retaining the anchor plate to the axle. Position the rear brake caliper aside. Repeat for the opposite side.
- Position the brake tube, harness and cable out of the way.
- Use a suitable transmission jack to support the axle. Strap the axle securely to the jack.
- Remove the nut and bolt retaining shock absorber to the axle on both sides.
- Remove the nuts and the axle U-bolts.
- Lower the axle from the vehicle.
Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure noting the following torque specifications:
Spring plate U-bolts: 130 ft. lbs. (221 Nm)