To remove the harmonic balancer, the cylinder head and timing cover must be removed and the piston should be at top dead center (TDC).
- Install the vibration damper by pounding it on, or use a special installation tool.
- Generally, the damper is installed unit it bottoms out against the oil slinger and the timing sprocket.
- If in doubt, install the water pump and pulley, and then pound the damper into place until its pulley aligns with the water pump pulley.
- It is advisable to use the installation tool, because pounding on the damper can cause stress on the crank thrust bearing surface.
- It is best to stand the engine block on end and support the crankshaft if the damper must be pounded on.
- Some vibration dampers are not pressed-fit on the crankshaft.
- Be sure to install a large washer behind the damper retaining bolt on these engines; otherwise, the damper might fly off, causing damage and a safety hazard.