To inspect your power steering pump:
- Check your pump's fluid level.
- Check the belt's tension.
- Check the seals between the pump and the pulley for leaks.
- Also look between the return and pressure hoses for leaks.
- Listen for whining or squeaking. This may indicate that the pump needs to be replaced or to have air bled from it.
- Check for fluid leaks on the steering gear box or on the rack and pinion.
- On older vehicles, check the power cylinder control valve and pressure hoses for leaks.
- Some vehicles have an external fluid cooler, if your vehicle has one, inspect it for leaks.