Only EPA-certified technicians can purchase R-12 refrigerant, since proper recovery and recycling techniques are required to prevent damaging the environment. Improper disposal of R-12 refrigerant can result in a fine.
- Remove the a/c compressor unit from the car.
- Remove the a/c pulley/rim.
- Scribe the location of the coil housing with relation to the compressor body to ensure proper alignment during reassembly.
- Using snap ring pliers, remove the coil housing retainer ring.
- Some coils attach using a snap ring or shaft key, or lock into place with a tab. Others require a special tool to install.Lift the field coil from the compressor.
- Note the location of the coil electrical connection and install it in the same position.