DIAGNOSIS & TESTING
- Turn the ignition OFF .
- Detach the connectors from the glow plugs.
- Connect a test lamp between the battery positive terminal and the glow plug. There should be continuity and the light should go on.
- If the light does not go on, the glow plug is faulty and must be replaced.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the rocker arm cover.
- Disconnect the glow plug electrical leads using a pair of pliers.
- Remove the glow plugs by unscrewing them from the cylinder head with a 10mm socket and wrench.
- Inspect the tips of the plugs for any evidence of distortion or missing tip ends; replace them if necessary.
- Install the glow plug into the cylinder head. Tighten the glow plugs to 14 ft. lbs. (19 Nm).
- Attach the glow plug electrical connector. Be sure that the glow plug wiring is routed to avoid moving components in the engine bay.
- Install the rocker arm cover.
When the battery is disengaged and reconnected, some abnormal drive symptoms may occur while the vehicle relearns its adaptive strategy. The vehicle may need to be driven 10 miles (16 km) or more to relearn this strategy.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
Fig. 2 Tighten the glow plugs to 14 ft. lbs. (19 Nm) and attach the connector-7.3L engine