Removal & Installation
- Raise vehicle and turn wheel outward for easier access to sensor.
- Remove sensor wire from mounting brackets.
- Clean sensor and surrounding area with shop towel before removal.
- Remove bolt attaching sensor to steering knuckle and remove sensor.
- Remove sensor wire from brackets on body and steering knuckle.
- Unseat sensor wire grommet in wheel house panel.
In engine compartment, disconnect sensor wire connector at harness plug. Then remove sensor and wire .
- If original sensor will be installed, wipe all traces of old spacer material off sensor pickup face. Use a dry shop towel for this purpose.
- Apply Mopar® Lock N' Seal or Loctite® 242 to bolt that secures sensor in steering knuckle. Use new sensor bolt if original bolt is worn or damaged.
- Position sensor on steering knuckle. Seat sensor locating tab in hole in knuckle and install sensor attaching bolt finger tight.
- Tighten sensor attaching bolt to 42 inch lbs. (4.7 Nm)
- If original sensor has been installed, check sensor air gap. Air gap should be 0.36-1.5mm (0.014-0.059 in.). If gap is incorrect, sensor is either loose, or damaged.
- Secure sensor wire to steering knuckle and body brackets.
- Route sensor wire forward and behind shock absorber. Then attach sensor wire to spring seat bracket with grommets on sensor wire.
- Route sensor wire to outer sill bracket. Remove all twists or kinks from wire.
- Attach sensor wire to sill bracket with grommet. Be sure wire is free of twists and kinks.
- Verify sensor wire routing. Wire should loop forward and above sill bracket. Loose end of wire should be below sill bracket and towards brake hose.
- Seat sensor wire grommet in body panel and clip wire to brake line at grommet location.
- Connect sensor wire to harness in engine compartment.
- Raise and fold rear seat forward for access to rear sensor connectors
- Disconnect sensors at rear harness connectors.
- Push sensor grommets and sensor wires through floor pan
- Raise vehicle.
- Disconnect sensor wires at rear axle connectors.
- Remove wheel and tire assembly.
- Remove brake drum.
- Remove clips securing sensor wires to brake lines, rear axle and, brake hose.
- Unseat sensor wire support plate grommet.
Remove bolt attaching sensor to bracket and remove sensor.
- If original sensor is being installed, remove any remaining pieces of cardboard spacer from sensor pickup face. Use dry shop towel only to remove old spacer material.
- Insert sensor wire through support plate hole. Then seat sensor grommet in support plate.
- Apply Mopar® Lock N' Seal or Loctite® 242 to original sensor bolt. Use new bolt if original is worn or damaged.
- Install sensor bolt finger tight only at this time.
- If original rear sensor was installed, adjust sensor air gap to 0.92-1.275mm (0.036-0.05 in.). Use feeler gauge to measure air gap. Tighten sensor bolt to 115 inch lbs. (13 Nm).
- If new sensor was installed, push cardboard spacer on sensor face against tone ring. Then tighten sensor bolt to 115 inch lbs. (13 Nm). Correct air gap will be established as tone ring rotates and peels spacer off sensor face
- Route sensor wires to rear seat area.
- Feed sensor wires through floor pan access hole and seat sensor grommets in floor pan.
- Verify that rear sensor wires are secured to rear brake hose and axle with clips. Verify that wire is clear of rotating components.
- Install brake drum and wheel and tire assembly.
- Lower vehicle.
- Connect sensor wire to harness connector. Then reposition carpet and fold rear seat down.
- Raise and support the vehicle.
- Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
- Remove the caliper adaptor bolts. Support the caliper and adaptor assembly. Do Not let assembly hang by the hose.
- Remove the disc brake rotor
- Remove the front wheel sensor mounting nut to the hub .
- Remove the wheel speed sensor from the hub.
- Disconnect the wire sensor routing clips .
- Disconnect the wheel speed sensor wire connector.
- Remove the sensor and wire.
- Reconnect the wheel speed sensor wire connector .
- Reroute and connect the wheel speed sensor wire to the routing clips .
- Install the wheel speed sensor into the hub and the install the mounting nut and tighten the nut to 106-124 inch lbs. (12-14 Nm).
- Check the sensor wire routing . Be sure the wire is clear of all chassis components and is not twisted or kinked at any spot.
- Install the disc brake rotor.
- Install the caliper adaptor over the rotor.
- Install the caliper adaptor bolts and tighten to 66-85 ft. lbs. (90-115 Nm).
- Install the tire and wheel assembly.
- Remove the support and lower vehicle.
- Raise and support the vehicle.
- Remove the wheel speed sensor mounting bolt from the rear support plate .
- Remove the wheel speed sensor the support plate.
Disconnect the wheel speed sensor electrical connector .
- Insert the wheel speed sensor through the support plate .
- Tighten the wheel speed sensor bolt to 106-124 inch lbs. (12-14 Nm).
- Secure the wheel speed sensor wire to the routing clips. Verify that the sensor wire is secure and clear of the rotating components.
- Reconnect the wheel speed sensor electrical connector .
- Lower the vehicle.