REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
The following procedure covers removal & installation only, for the hub assembly. The hub should be disassembled ONLY if overhaul is necessary. In that event, an overhaul kit will be required. Follow the instructions in the overhaul kit to rebuild the hub.
- Remove the capscrews and washer from the hub cap.
- Remove the hub cap and spring.
- Remove the bearing race, bearing and retainer.
- Remove the keeper from the outer clutch housing.
- Remove the large snapring to release the locking unit. The snapring is removed by squeezing the ears of the snapring with needle-nose pliers.
- Remove the locking unit from the hub. You can make this job easier by threading 2 hub cap screws into the outer clutch housing and hold these to pull out the unit.
- Wipe clean all parts and check for wear or damage.
- Coat all parts with the same wheel bearing grease you've used on the bearings.
- Position the locking unit in the hub and install the large snapring. Pull outward on the unit to make sure the snapring is fully seated in its groove.
- Install the keepers.
- Install the bearing retainer, bearing and race. Make sure that the bearing is fully pack with grease.
- Coat the hub cap O-ring with wheel bearing grease and install the hub cap.
- Install the capscrews and washers. Tighten the screws to 45 inch lbs. (5 Nm).