Removal & Installation
- Properly disarm the SIR (air bag) system, then disconnect the negative battery cable. For details on disarming the air bag system, please refer to the Chassis Electrical section of this manual. The disarming procedure can be found in the General Information section.
- Either lower the steering column from the instrument panel for access or unbolt and remove the column. If the column is removed, prevent it from rotating so the SIR coil does not become uncentered.
- If applicable, remove the tilt lever by pulling outward.
- Remove the 2 pan head tapping screws from the lower column shroud, then tilt the shroud down and slide it back to disengage the locking tabs. Remove the lower shroud.
- Remove the 2 Torx®head screws from the upper shroud.
- Lift the upper shroud for access to the lock cylinder hole. Hold the key in the START position and use a 1 / 16 in. Allen wrench to push on the lock cylinder retaining pin.
Release the key to the
position and pull the steering column lock cylinder set from the lock module assembly. Remove the upper shroud.
- Install the upper shroud and lock cylinder. With the key installed to the lock cylinder and turned to the RUN position, make sure the sector in the lock module is also in this position.
- Install the lock cylinder to the upper shroud, then align the locking tab and positioning tab with the slots in the lock module assembly. With the tabs aligned, carefully push the cylinder into position.
- Install the upper shroud Torx®head retaining screws and tighten to 12 inch lbs. (1.4 Nm).
- Install the lower shroud, making sure the slots on the shroud engage with the upper shroud tabs. Tilt the lower shroud upward and snap the shrouds together.
- Install the 2 lower shroud pan head retaining screws and tighten to 53 inch lbs. (6.0 Nm).
- Move the shift and multi-function lever seals into position.
- If applicable, install the tilt lever by aligning and pushing inward.
- Position and secure the steering column.
- Make sure the ignition is OFF , then connect the negative battery cable.
- Properly arm the SIR system. For details on arming the air bag system, please refer to the Chassis Electrical section of this manual. The arming procedure can be found in the General Information section.