What to Know About Disposing of Antifreeze

How Should I Get Rid of Antifreeze?

Make sure the antifreeze is in a safe, closable container to prevent spills. Contact local recycling centers or service stations for more information on local disposal. Do NOT pour antifreeze down the drain. Do NOT pour antifreeze outside. The content of your antifreeze, whether it is new or used or mixed with another fluid, is important. Take note of the makeup of your antifreeze when inquiring about local disposal methods.

How Do I Clean Up Antifreeze?

Be conscientious of spills in your garage or work area. Antifreeze should be cleaned immediately if spilled. Carefully and safely absorb the material with kitty litter or sand, and cover with paper towels. Next, wipe up after letting it absorb or rest. Throw away the collected material and wash the area with soap and water before drying thoroughly.

Is Antifreeze Dangerous for Pets?

Yes, very much so. Antifreeze is toxic for pretty much all living things, but pets are particularly attracted to the smell and taste of antifreeze. Take extra care with regard to open containers or spills around dogs, cats or other household pets.

Advice, how-to guides, and car care information featured on AutoZone.com and AutoZone Advice & How-To’s are presented as helpful resources for general maintenance and automotive repairs from a general perspective only and should be used at your own risk. Information is accurate and true to the best of AutoZone’s knowledge, however, there may be omissions, errors or mistakes.

Be sure to consult your owner’s manual, a repair guide, an AutoZoner at a store near you, or a licensed, professional mechanic for vehicle-specific repair information. Refer to the service manual for specific diagnostic, repair and tool information for your particular vehicle. Always chock your wheels prior to lifting a vehicle. Always disconnect the negative battery cable before servicing an electrical application on the vehicle to protect its electrical circuits in the event that a wire is accidentally pierced or grounded. Use caution when working with automotive batteries. Sulfuric acid is caustic and can burn clothing and skin or cause blindness. Always wear gloves and safety glasses and other personal protection equipment, and work in a well-ventilated area. Should electrolyte get on your body or clothing, neutralize it immediately with a solution of baking soda and water. Do not wear ties or loose clothing when working on your vehicle.

FREE Loan-A-Tool® program requires returnable deposit. Please note that the tool that you receive after placing an online order may be in a used but operable condition due to the nature of the Loan-A-Tool® program.